“The U.S. government has a technology, called a printing press (or today, its electronic equivalent), that allows it to produce as many U.S. dollars as it wishes at no cost.” — Ben Bernanke 2002
“With respect to their safety, derivatives, for the most part, are traded among very sophisticated financial institutions and individuals who have considerable incentive to understand them and to use them properly.” — Ben Bernanke 2005
“I’ve never been on Wall Street. And I care about Wall Street for one reason and one reason only because what happens on Wall Street matters to Main Street.” — Ben Bernanke 2008
We know that the banks have rigged/manipulated the markets in:
- Fannie Mae
- Freddie Mac
- Dot-com bubble
- MF Global
- Mortgage documents
- High-Frequency Trading
- Foreclosure Reviews
If you’re a giant too-big-too-fail bank and:
- you’re the custodian of the biggest gold and silver exchange-traded funds
- you’re also trading derivatives on interest rates, mortgages and gold and silver,
- you’re holding less real physical bullion than you have in years
- you’ve been short and have been advising your clients to get short gold and silver
- you’re in cahoots with the Fed and the government desperately trying to keep the dollar propped up and rates down
- you can borrow money at 0% interest and never have to worry about paying it back if you blow it up gambling/trading/rigging the markets because you’ll get bailed out
- you know that you don’t even have to pay back the bailout money
- you don’t ever have to worry about going to jail for anything you do as an executive or bigwig at any giant bank…
Gold and silver markets are much smaller than the total stock market which is much smaller than the total bond market which is much smaller than the total derivatives market. Meaning that gold and silver are probably some of the easiest to try to manipulate right now. I don’t know how long these imbalances between the dollar and precious metals can go on and it can get worse before it gets better — these banks and their regulators and the government are desperate and willing to take us all the way to the ledge. I’m going to double the size of my Market Vectors Gold Miners ETF GDX call position that I started building yesterday. I still have ammo to build it up further if the gold miner stocks decline further in the next day or so.
But as I’ve been saying for the last couple months, I have started rebuilding my own physical gold and silver assets and plan to do so steadily over the next year or so. I am trying to continue to take advantage of the continued declines in gold and silver by buying more gold and silver coins and bullion. But you have to be patient and willing to find the right seller because, as I said above, most people are paying a bigger spread for those coins and bullion over the paper/spot prices than ever before.
Meanwhile, we’re now up nearly 50% on our recent DIA calls purchase. I’m going to sell about fifth of my SPDR Dow Jones Industrial Average ETF DIA (also known as diamonds) calls this morning locking in some of those profits.